2019 KEEN YOUNG COOK FINALIST: BETTY WATTS
Seeded Plaits & Hedgehog Bread Rolls
"I chose this recipe because it was a challenge and you can make lots of different shapes with bread. Also I love to make different types of bread at school and at home. I like using Wessex seeded flour because it has extra flavour from the seeds."
200g Seeded strong flour
5g Dried Yeast
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Dough improver
125ml Warm water
1. Turn on oven Gas Mark 7 Electric 200°C -210°C. put hot water in grill tray to prove so it doesn't make a skin around the dough.
2. Lightly grease baking tray. Collect all ingredients.
3. Place flour salt and butter in to a bowl and rub in butter
4. Mix on machine with dough hook.
5. Add luke warm water.
6. Turn out onto a floured bench and knead until smooth.
7. Divide into 8 roll in to different shapes.
To make hedgehog: Make a round roll create a point on the end for a nose the get some scissors and snip spikes onto the dough, then place one current either side of the nose. To make a plait get three equal balls of dough and roll them into equal 25cm lengths and put together at the top then place the outside one into the middle then keep on going until your plait is completed. Place on tray. Prove inside grill area (grill is not switched on) until double in size.
8. Bake of 15-20 minutes until golden brown.