2020 ASPIRING STUDENT CHEF FINALIST: KATIE ELDER
Spinach and Bacon striped tortellini
" I chose my recipe because I have always enjoyed making pasta and experimented with colours. The filling I chose was quite simple but it gave the dish a fresh creamy flavour which is also one of my favourite fillings I think that the sauce also complemented the filling well as did the striped design."
400g of Plain flour
350g of spinach
1 red onion
2 cans of tinned tomatoes (800g)
50ml of olive oil
250g of cream cheese
1 clove of garlic
45g of pancetta
5g of parsley
10g of basil
Salt + pepper
1. Put a pan of water on to boil
2. Once boiling add 100g of spinach and blanch for 2 minutes
3. After 2 minutes rinse under cold water to stop it from cooking and bend in a hand blender until smooth
4. Put 140g of flour into a food processor with 1 egg and 1 egg yolk and blitz until bread crumbs, tip into a bowl and knead until it is a dough and cool in the fridge until ready to use
5. Put the other 140g of flour into the food processor with an egg yolk and blitz while it Is mixing slowly put the spinach mixture in until it is at the required green colour or it at the bread crumb stage
6. Pour into a bowl and knead until it is a dough and then chill in the fridge
7. Put 1tbsp of olive oil into a frying pan and saute the onions and garlic
8. Add the tinned tomatoes and puree and mix together and allow to simmer on a low heat
9. In another frying pan add 1tbsp of olive oil and fry off the bacon until cooked but not crispy.
10. Using a pasta maker roll out each dough separately until level 4 and then cut up the green pasta into a tagliatelle size then layer over plain pasta dough
11. Using a rolling pin roll them together and then use the pasta machine until level 6.
12. Cut up bacon and spinach into small pieces and mix into the cream cheese
13. Cut up pasta into circles and fill with the cream cheese filling and shape into tortellini shapes.
14. Blitz the sauce in a hand blender with some dried herbs until it is smooth
15. Boil the tortellini for 2 minutes and plate up how you want.