2019 KEEN HOME COOK FINALIST: JESSICA DUA SONY
Starry Pastels Dipped in Saffron & Pistachio Custard
Bread slices - 10 - 12
Oil for deep frying
Sugar syrup with a 1/single string consistency cardamom - 2-3
Saffron - 8-10 strands
Sugar - 3 teaspoons
Whole milk - 1/2 litre
Chopped pistachio - 8-10
Almonds - 8
Honey - 1 teaspoon
Star shaped cookie cutter
1. Shape the bread slices in star shape with the help of a star shaped cookie cutter.
2. Deep fry these star shaped bread pieces.
3. Prepare a sugar syrup with a single string consistency and dip the starry bread pieces in this sugar syrup and keep them aside.
Saffron and Pistachio custard
1. Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add saffron strands, slit cardamom, pistachio and 1 teaspoon sugar to it and heat it on medium flame until its quantity is reduced to half.
3. Keep stirring occasionally and cook it until its quantity is reduced to half. Once it is reduced, remove it from flame and set it aside to cool.
1. Caramelise 2 teaspoon sugar and add chopped almonds to it.
2. As the colour of sugar starts become dark, add honey to this mixture.
3. Stir it well on low flame, turn off the flame and set it aside to cool.
4. Once it is cooled and set, crush this mixture into small pieces.
5. Place the star shaped sugar dipped pastels in a dish, pour some saffron and pistachio custard over these.
6. Now sprinkle the crushed almond crunch over these, and it is ready to delish!