LESLEY WATERS COOKERY SCHOOL
Garlic Mustard Splats
225g strong bread flour
4g easy blend yeast
approximately 125/150mls warm water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
400g small field mushrooms, peeled, trimmed with the stalks left on
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons parsley
For the onion parsley:
1 medium red onion
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
For the garlic butter:
55g butter, softened
1 large garlic clove, crushed
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220C/425F.
2. In a large bowl, make up the dough. Sift the flour into a large bowl then stir in the yeast. Add the water and olive oil to make a soft wet dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and love to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
3. In a small food processor or blender make the onion parsley. Whizz together the red onion and parsley and season well. Set to one side.
4. When the dough has risen knock it back and divide into 6 and roll out each piece into a rough splat approx. 15cm in diameter. Place on a baking sheet and top each splat with some onion parsley leaving a border around the outside. Place the mushrooms stalk side up, on the top of the onion parsley.
5. Brush the mushrooms and edges of the dough with a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the bases are golden and crisp.
6. Meanwhile gently heat the butter and the crushed garlic and season with black pepper
7. Remove the mushroom splats from the oven and immediately drizzle each mushroom splat with the garlic butter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve at once.